Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Salsa

This is my mother in laws recipe. I hate store bought salsa now. I love this recipe.

15 large tomatoes (15 or 16 cups)
3 medium onions
3 green peppers
3 hot jalapenos & 2 mild jalapenos
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Chope it all up and put in big pot. Bring to boil for 15 min. Mix seperate 1/2 cup corn starch and salsa juice so that you dont get corn starch clumps in your salsa. Add to salsa and cook for 10 min. Bottle them and process for 30 min.

I really liked it chunky but it goes way to fast. If you want it to last longer then cut up fine or use in your food processor.

Note: For those that have never canned. Make sure your bottles are hot and the lids and that nothing is on the mouth of the jar when you put the lid on (wipe with damp cloth) & that your jars and lids are steralized.

2 comments:

Sonnet said...

If you like it hotter than just add the hot jalapenos and keep the seeds in. The seeds is where the heat is. Trial and error for what heat you like. I like mine more hot that not.

Aaron and Carrie Warnick said...

I am more mild but that sounds really yummy!